- How Do I...
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- What is the population of Halifax County?
According to the 2020 Census, the population is 34,022.
- How big is Halifax County?
Halifax County is 817.73 square miles. It is the 4th largest county in Virginia based on land size and the 52nd-largest county based on population.
- When are the County offices open?
Generally, Monday through Friday, 8 am through 5 pm, except for Federal holidays and weather emergencies.
- What forms of payment are accepted by Halifax County Animal Control?
Halifax County Animal Control (HCAC) only accepts checks or money orders. No cards or cash are accepted.
- What animals are required to have tags?
A dog tag is required for all individual dogs within the County. Dog tags can be purchased at the Treasurer's Office for $10. Dog tags must be renewed each year. Cats are not required to have a tag.
- What should I do if I have a missing pet or animal?
If you are missing a pet/animal, please notify Halifax County Animal Control at 434-572-4292. If Halifax County Animal Control is in possession of your pet/animal, you will be asked to come to the facility during business hours to reclaim it. You will need to show proof of ownership (unless the animal is chipped) and proof of rabies vaccine. The fee to reclaim a pet is $20, plus $10 per day for boarding.
- What youth athletics are offered by Halifax County Parks & Recreation, and in what months do they take place?
- Volleyball is offered and takes place from September through November.
- Football is offered and takes place from August through November.
- Basketball is offered and takes place from November through March.
- How do I register a child for youth athletics?
Sign ups for youth athletics are offered at Mary Bethune Gymnasium and are announced in the local newspaper, WHLF radio, and through the school system.
- Are there fees for youth athletics?
There is a $25 fee for football to help cover the cost of football equipment. All sports are offered at no charge.
- When is recycling picked up?
Recycling services, including pick-up, are provided at specific Collection Center locations. View the Recycling/Collection Center Locations page for more information. For additional questions, contact Ricky Nelson at 434-476-3364.
- If there is a problem with a Collection Center or a green trash box, who should be contacted?
Director of Public Works Ricky Nelson can be reached at 434-476-3364.
- How do I find my polling place or determine my election district?
If you are unsure of your precinct location, call the Voter Registration Office at 434-476-3322 or view the Voting Precincts List (PDF).
If you need to determine your election district, you can search using your home address on the District and Precinct Map.
- How do I know which election district I live in?
If you are unsure of your election district, view our election district map to enter your address and determine your election district.
- Who is eligible to work as an officer of election?
Registered voters of Virginia who do not hold an elected office or are not employees of an elected official are eligible to work as an officer of the election.